General Manager - Los Angeles
ABOUT URBAN MASSAGE
We’re on mission to democratize wellness. Making wellness rituals accessible in all urban cities. Making balance an integral part of the cosmopolitan urban lifestyle. Providing a counterweight, a refuge from, a healing of the noise, rush, stress, and pressure. Whenever you need it - at everyone's finger tips. That is Urban.
In the three years since our launch we’ve grown to sixty plus people, can be found in five cities across Europe, and have matched thousands of people with hundreds of expert massage therapists. It’s a fast paced but nurturing atmosphere that manages to balance the fire and excitement of a start-up with the care and mindfulness expected from the wellness industry.
The global wellness industry is poised to grow to a $5 trillion industry by 2020. And there is very limited competition. With our first service vertical, Urban Massage, we are a first mover. Our business is showing impressive growth metrics and unit economics. And we have already successfully conquered the European market. Now we are expanding across the globe. And into the other key verticals of the wellness industry. The opportunity is huge.
The General Manager role at Urban Massage is one of the most important roles in our business. It is not a job in a conventional sense, but a unique opportunity to be one of the founding members of the leading wellness brand of the future.
Clearly this entails that it is an extremely challenging role, which requires an extraordinary mix of drive, leadership, and talent. If you don't want to go down the traditional route of management consulting, banking, or working in a large multinational; if you always felt that you could do more, if you constantly excel in what you do, and feel the urge of creating something big, then this role if for you.
As General Manager you'll own and lead the local business. You'll supervise operations from start to end, recruit and nurture your own team, ensure operational excellence, build the brand, define optimal structures and processes, form strategic partnerships, liaise with institutions and government, act as the face of the company and be the change agent for a more balance urban lifestyle.
Apart from extraordinary leadership and a very bright entrepreneurial mind, the role requires outstanding analytical skills, rigid self-discipline, and excellent communication skills. You need to be able to not only make your local market flourish and grow rapidly, but at the same time optimally leverage synergies across our regional and global teams; taking a key role in shaping the global presence of Urban.
- Own the local market strategy and delivery - taking the lead in revolutionizing the local wellness market
- Build and head up the local company
- Hire a team of outstanding talent, best-in-class in their respective areas of expertise
- Nurture and empower your team to top-performance, fuelling their passion about our mission
- Full P&L responsibility for your region
- Devise and executive large-scale integrated marketing and communications campaigns
- Employ public relations, strategic partnerships, guerilla marketing and growth hacking to work smart, not hard
- Attract and cultivate a community of hundreds to thousands of independent practitioners, trainers and therapists, so that they select the Urban platform as their preferred way of working
- Constantly innovate and develop the company in an efficient way on both sides of the marketplace
- Represent Urban in the media, at events, and with institutions, partners and local government
- Liaise with HQ departments on product priorities, brand and service direction, share best practices across regions and contribute to the development of global processes, shared knowledge and collaboration
- In all this you will work very closely with the executive team of Urban Massage and play a key role in making urban wellness accessible globally
- In short: building a real success story.
- Min. 5-7 years experience in a top consultancy firm, investment banking or operations management in a well-reputed MNC or high-growth startup
- University degree / MBA from a top school
- A natural leader with strong motivation to build and manage your own team and enable them to flourish, while at the same time being willing to get your hands dirty and lead by example
- A sharp strategic mind, combined with high degree of comfort with analytics, numbers and budgets
- Extraordinary drive, coupled with ability to function in diverse and dispersed teams
- Excellent communication skills and a natural disposition to network and engage people
- Related marketplace experience is a plus
- Right to work in the United States
- Competitive salary plus an equity package
- Join a fast-growing and exciting global start-up
- All the equipment you need to do your job brilliantly
- Free massages, and discounts on massages
- Generous paid holiday entitlement plus the option to take as much unpaid leave as you need